Friday, July 17, 2009

An inauspicious start to our stay in South Africa

Mumsie got mugged
When we arrived at the Johannesburg airport and passed through security, the officer there told me that when I get to Cape Town, I should avoid Long Street. No further explanation. Just avoid Long Street.

When we got to our boarding house that night, a group of Whiffs wanted to go to Mama Africa, a restaurant/performance club on, where else, Long Street. I told the folks who wanted to go that the security guard without any provocation told me to avoid that strip. I more or less got blown off and told that I was being overly cautious. Rather than calling a cab, we walked the four blocks.

Right when we set foot on Long Street, two African teenagers quickly approached us and asked for money. Casey, Jesse, Julian and I put our hands in our pockets and promptly walked away. Brian a.k.a. Mumsie, on the other hand, must have frozen up and shown fear, because they went to him and picked his pocket at knife point.

No one was hurt, but we were all shook up by the experience.

I've got an ice box where my room's 'sposed to be
During this year, we've stayed at some of the finest hotels in the world: the Ritz-Carlton in Santiago, Chile; the St. Regis in Shanghai, China; the Siam City Hotel in Bangkok. Here in Cape Town, however, we're staying at a boarding house that has no heating, broken windows in rooms, creaky floors, and questionable public showers.

Cape Point and the Cape of Good Hope
Despite our struggles on this leg of the tour, we did make it out to the Cape of Good Hope yesterday. I'll post pictures soon.


Comments? Or just want to say hi? Email me at elliotjwatts(at)gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment